Coppus Motors was founded in 1927 by Harry Coppus Sr. in Fostoria, Ohio. The company was founded on the principle that the public is entitled to the best service possible in satisfying its transportation needs and to always "Give Customers a little more than they expect".
During those first few years Harry Coppus Sr. sold Pontiac, Plymouth, Oakland and Hupmobile Automobiles. In 1933, during the Great Depression, the dealership moved to Tiffin, Ohio then selling Studebaker, Hudson, International Trucks and Schultz House Trailers.
In the early 1940's Harry Coppus Jr. opened a Nash Dealership next to his fathers. During the 40's,50's, and 60's, the Automobile Manufacturer's changed, but Studebaker remained with Coppus Motors until they stopped production in 1966. When Harry Coppus Retired in 1964, Coppus was selling Studebaker, Dodge,American Motors,Jaguar,Triumph, MG, and Mercedes Benz. At that time Harry Coppus Jr. took over both dealerships. In 1976 we added Jeep and in 1989 we added Chrysler to complete our current lineup.
During the late 1940's, Harry Coppus Sr. became interested in imported vehicles from Europe. He then connected with an importer from New York by the name of Max Hoffman, who had exclusive rights for the US market for almost every European Manufacturer. Starting in the late 1940's, Harry Coppus Sr. became one of the 1st. Import Dealers in the Midwest, selling MG, Triumph, Austin Healy, Jaguar, Porsche, VW, Alfa Romeo, Singer, Isetta, Renault and Mercedes Benz. According to John Coppus "Coppus Motors purchased their 1st. Mercedes Benz for resale in 1954, making them arguably the oldest Dealership in the United States still selling Mercedes Benz".
In 1956, the initial meeting of the Mercedes Benz Club of America was held at Coppus Motors in Tiffin, Ohio. The Mercedes Benz Club of America now has 28,000 members throughout the United States.
In 1934, a low point because of the Depression, Coppus sold 14 New Cars and had only 4 employees. In 2013, we sold almost 800 New and Preowned Vehicles with 40 full time and part time employees.
John Coppus, Harry Coppus Jr's son, started full time in the business in 1980 and took over operations of the business from his father in the late 1980's. During these years the business continued to expand and made numerous improvements to the current location. However in 2012, John Coppus made a commitment to the future with extensive remodeling and additions to the facilities. These include doubling the size of the Mercedes-Benz showroom, remodeling the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep showroom and renovating the Administration Office, Parts Department, Service Reception area and Service Bays. The exterior appearance took on a completely new look with added parking spaces.
Building an automobile dealership based on ethical business practices that emphasize honesty and integrity has allowed Coppus Motors to "Give Customers a little more than the expect" for over 90 years.